Newsletter

PDF

YouTube-Channel

The archive of the Jewish Community Vienna (Israelitische Kultusgemeinde Wien, IKG)

 

IKG-Archiv-Klein

The archive was officially established in 1816, when the representatives of the Jewish community decided to collect and keep safely all patents, decrees and ordinances of the Jews of Vienna. The documents were organized by name and keyword until into the 1920s. The IKG Vienna was forced to dissolve the archive immediately upon the „annexation“ of Austria by Hitler Germany in March 1938. In addition, the SS confiscated large parts of the archive, including documents of Jewish associations and organizations, and brought them to Berlin in 1938/1939. These documents were later transported to Silesia, where they were discovered by the Red Army at the end of the war and transported to Moscow as “Beutedokumente”.

The archive was at first not reestablished after the liberation in 1945. The newly constituted IKG Vienna, which was not comparable with the pre-1938 community either in number or membership, had grave doubts that there would ever be such a flowering Jewish community as there had been before the „annexation“. This is why the IKG Vienna gave a large part of its archives on loan to the „Central Archvies“ in Jerusalem in the beginning of the 1950s as well as in the 1960s and 1970s. In the year 2000, the „presumably lost archive“, which had already been discovered once before in 1986 in the synagogue basement, was found again. It makes up the basis for the reconstruction of the overall Vienna archive.

Until the end of 2008, the archive was part of the former Contact Point for Jewish Victims of National-Socialist Persecution in and from Austria (Anlaufstelle der IKG Wien für jüdische NS-Verfolgte in und aus Österreich). In January 2009, the IKG Vienna archive was reestablished as a department, thus consciously underlining the archive's unique nature. Today, the archive is the largest preserved archive of any Jewish community. It comprises numerous sources on Shoah research and on the history and development of the Jewish community in Vienna and its members reaching as far back as the 17th century. Parts of the archive are still located in Jerusalem, Moscow and other places. However, the complete collection is to be reunited in its original location of Vienna.

The IKG Vienna archive is not yet open to the public. Please make an appointment:

 

Contact:

 

Mag. Susanne Uslu-Pauer

E-Mail: This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.

This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.">Tel. +43-1-53104-210

Fax +43-1-53104-219

May 2017
M T W T F S S
1 2 3 4 5 6 7
8 9 10 11 12 13 14
15 16 17 18 19 20 21
22 23 24 25 26 27 28
29 30 31 1 2 3 4